1. Lazy New Year’s Day. Went to go see ‘We Bought a Zoo’ with Sister, Mom and Ndeko, but spent most of the rest of the day in pajamas.
2. Shopping with Mom and Ndeko. Delightful.
3. Reading in front of the fireplace was most of my day, except when I had to hug my precious Ndeko “see you later”.
4. Read and wrote and snuggled with Puppy.
5. Watched some ridiculous movies and ate far too much food. Good day.
6. Big day in our wee family. Sister became a legally permanent part of us and we spent the day celebrating that reality.
7. Sister, Brother-in-Law and I had the house to ourselves. So we ordered far too much take-away food and watched ridiculous television. As we do.
8. Emailed in an essay and spent the rest of the day watching football with the family.
9. Some quick bits of nothing and visiting loved ones.
10. Last full day home for a while – so where else would I go but Long Beach Island? Had a simply delightful lunch with grandma and Mom and breathed deep the ocean air. Spent the evening snuggling with Brother and Sister.
11. Spent the last few hours in the States running errands with Mom before climbing in the car for the drive to Newark. See you in July, America. Stay Classy.
12. Landed in Belfast with no drama only to come back to MC and find that QUB had turned my electricity off. Delightful. Thankfully, Tacoma was awesome as always and let me crash in her room to steal plugs.
13. Spent the day writing a particularly hated and pointless essay, so made sure the evening was delightful. Take-away, couch, cheesy action movies, cute Boy. Done, done, done.
14. Tacoma and I found a new reality show trainwreck to get into – thank you ITV – while we enjoyed having a couch and a kitchen for the night. Thanks to Mama Cheesehead for giving us keys to her place while she’s away.
15. Headed out to Movilla to photograph a pretty cool event and spend some time with a favorite.
16. Did some work and then Tacoma and I played games, watched movies and laughed. Typical.
17. Penny returned to Belfast! So Tacoma and I played the “help Penny beat jet lag” game which always includes trips to City Center and brunch at The Other Place. I also met the Boy for a movie which turned into drinks until the wee hours. He’s inching ever closer to deserving a blog nick-name. We’ll see.
18. Penny and marathoned Sherlock and screamed at our TV several times. Flip, I cannot believe we have to wait until 2013 for new episodes of this wonder
19. Spent the day hunkered in Penny’s room waiting for Air Lingus to deliver her wayward luggage. We played Trivial Pursuit, analyzed some of the crazy in my brain and laughed.
20. Met the Boy for dinner at his place and then watched Top Gear: India and began to squeak with joy when they hit Jaipur. Gosh, I miss India.
21. I met the Boy at 12:30 and left him at 1:30 the next morning. Happy. Our day included viewings of the Underworld trilogy, which gave my Sister unspeakable joy.
22. Penny and I spent the day at Mama Cheesehead’s, making stew drinking, drinking B&Bs and enjoying championship football. I feel unbelievably bad for the Raven’s kicker.
23. A typical day in Belfast – reading, tea, dandering – ended in spending the whole night playing board games with Tacoma and Penny. Perfection.
24. Finished our marathon board game playing and the out with the Boy that evening. He certainly is becoming a re-occurring theme.
25. In what is a great example of my ridiculous life, Penny and I flew to London for a few days. After settling into our hostel, we found a pub and then dandered around Westminster to see it’s glory at night.
26. Bus tour, 221b Baker Street, a long journey to Tipperary, original Twining shop, organic gin, an adopted stout and dinner at one of Kenneth Braunaugh’s favorite places… yeah. Excellent day doesn’t even cover it.
27. After a WHIRLWIND run through the National Gallery, Penny headed back to Belfast and I boarded a bus to Oxford to see Coxswain for her birthday! We dandered and gossip and then I got to meet her people and was thrilled.
28. Coxswain and I decided that in order to properly celebrate her birthday we had to find ourselves in another country. So we headed to Wales. The evening got a little pear shaped, but we still had a class time.
29. Toured Cardiff, said ‘hi’ to The Doctor, ate lunch at a restaurant with too many “w”s and then spent the evening eating and drinking our way through Oxford. Winning.
30. Flight back to Belfast and then our first Pub Quiz of 2012. Things feel right again in Belfast.
31. Gormflaith returned! So we celebrated with lots of tea, leisurely lunch and then time introducing new friends at the Hewitt. Great way to wrap up January.